As an academy, our community reflects and celebrates the exciting diversity in the city.
Heartlands Academy is an inclusive school, where we focus on the well-being and progress of every student and where all members of our community are of equal worth. We believe that the Equality Act 2010 provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our approach to equality is based on the following key principles:
- All learners are of equal value.
- We recognise and respect difference.
- We foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging.
- We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development.
- We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist.
- We have the highest expectations of all our students. We ensure that our students are exposed to and taught about all protected characteristics through our curriculum.