At Heartlands Academy, our teachers recognise the importance of career education and are committed to providing high-quality Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG). We know that excellent CEIAG raises aspirations, and motivation and helps pupils to know what they are aiming towards. We want students to make informed decisions and be aware of the opportunities that are available to them. We are excited by the opportunities out there and want to bring awareness and confidence in understanding opportunities to all of our students. We know that our daily contact with students makes us influential and that is why we want our career input to be effective.
Our subjects support careers through:
- Displays that link subject learning and skill development to different careers.
- A commitment to developing links with businesses and organisations linked to their subjects.
- Developing alumni links and inviting external speakers to the academy.
- To record career learning opportunities for students in schemes of learning.
- To take part in whole-academy ‘careers days’, where all teachers start their lesson with a careers focus, such as talking about their career pathway or showing a short film explaining the relevance of skills developed in a subject area to a range of job roles.
- To consider the needs and interests of all students and ensure that information challenges stereotyping, including gender and disability.
General careers support for teachers
- My learning, my future
- My skills, my future
- Apprenticehship activity packs
- Teacher and career advisor webinars
- Apprenticeship posters
- Film on 12 subjects and apprenticeships
- Securing good outcomes SEND
Useful subject specific websites
Art and Design
Health and Social Care
- Careers in science
- I could explore science
- Occupations related to biology
- Occupations related to chemistry
- Occupations related to physics
- Neon Futures career resources
- Oxford University outreach
- STEM resources
- The Institute of Physics