Our curriculum in years 7-11
The academy curriculum aims to meet the individual needs of each student to ensure that they make exceptional progress during their time here. As well as varied and exciting lessons, the academy offers a wide range of support opportunities as part of the ‘Out of Hours’ provision.
On entry to the academy, students are divided into ability sets based on their Key Stage 2 data.
- Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9) A broad curriculum is taught which includes: English, mathematics, science, design technology, computer science, history, geography, religious education, french, spanish, physical education, art, music and drama. In the spring term of Year 9, students will choose the subjects they wish to take at Key Stage 4. However, for some of the mandatory subjects, teaching will have already started for the Key Stage 4 curriculum.
- Key Stage 4 (Years 10-11) A broad suite of subjects at GCSE, Level 2 BTEC and Level 2 Cambridge Technical Award are offered. Students can choose from these subjects, in addition to continuing to study english, mathematics, science and core physical education. Students are guided to choose subjects in which they have already shown good progress, and to consider other subjects which are on first offer at Key Stage 4.
- Key Stage 5 (Sixth Form) We offer a variety of both A-level and Level 3 courses and further details can be found in the Sixth Form pages.
- PSHE – An ‘in-house’ PSHE curriculum is delivered across all year groups, with a focus on promoting British Values.
- Out of Hours Learning – Significant levels of progress are made by the end of Key Stage 4 – well above the national average. The academy’s team of dedicated staff are more than happy to provide ’Out of Hours’ learning opportunities for the students. These are in addition to the traditional extra-curricular activities. Key stage 4 students, in particular, are able to attend bespoke revision classes, Saturday morning and holiday workshops.
Full lists of options are available in the downloadable booklets.
Sixth Form Prospectus